What is window tinting?
It’s a dark coloured film that protects the upholstery from fading, hindering the sun rays from entering inside your car, it shields you against sunlight and harmful UV rays and provides privacy against peepers. Despite these many benefits, there are various disadvantages to which the governments have imposed rules and restrictions the citizens need to adhere to, before applying window tint to their car. These restrictions vary from country to country and state to state. So, if you are planning to get your window tinted, there are various laws and regulations you need to abide by. These laws might be different in your country and you need to give them a check before you go to an automotive specialist.
What is legal window tinting?
The legal window tinting consists of attaching the tints to the car windows in accordance with the rules of the government that equally keeps the car safe for owners and the people of the country.
Why are laws imposed on tinting your windows?
- Window tinting for cars is a legal activity through which every individual has to go through before installing in their own car. This process is cumbersome.
- Multiple states have laws that every citizen has to strictly follow in order to maintain car safety. Well, the laws have been designed with the purpose to keep a check on the people who undertake illegal activities inside their car.
- The window tint restricts the amount of sunlight from entering the car but also makes it difficult for the cops and security officers to see through and check if any wrongdoings are happening or not.
- The rules are imposed to ensure those police investigators are not hindered away.
- Dark window tint is a matter of concern as it can increase the illegal activities that take place inside the car which will have brutal consequences later on, so before you implement it. Know the rules you need to follow
Laws as per the state regulations
- Before buying an automotive window tint make sure to abide by the laws of your state. Research about it on the internet, ask your elders, or confirm it with a professional investigator.
- Some states allow dark window tint, while some ask for completely clear ones.
- Visible light transmission (VLT) determines the darkness of the window. The measurement means how much light can get through the window tint. The automotive experts will tell how much VLT percent your tint can have.
- One important thing is, in many states, the rules are different for each window which clarifies that you cannot buy window tint for front windows and apply it or rear windows and vice versa.
- The window tinting law for the front windshield also varies. A darker window tint is not applicable for front glass as it darkens the view for the driver which is dangerous for the drivers as well as co-travelers.
- Reflective film is also prohibited in many states. If your VLT percentage is OK, but if the reflectivity is not fit then you won’t be allowed to install it. Take care of your reflectivity before choosing a tint film for your car.
How dark can you go in VLT percentages?
- A legal window tintgenerally allows 70% of the visible light which is common and legal in many states.
- The laws of limo tints are different and defined by the Department of Motor Vehicles in every region.
- They are legalized in some states but not in others. Limousine tint blocks 95% of the visible light but allows only 5% inside which means less could be seen from the outside.
- This is strictly against the law and unethical. The tint is super dark which reduces safety and should not be used.
What is the legal level window tint in Virginia?
All tint colors are allowed except for yellow, red, and amber. Virginia asks for a sticker that proves certification of legalities.
For passenger vehicles
- Rear windows- up to 35%
- Front windows- up to 35%
- Back windows- up to 50%
- Front windshield- Above AS-1 line
For multi-purpose vehicles
- Rear window- No restriction
- Front seat windows-up to 50%
- Back seat windows-No restriction
- Frontside windshield- Above AS-1 line
What are the consequences of not following the rules?
If you don’t abide by the laws, then strict actions will be taken against you. You will be pulled over, will be fined with a huge amount of money, or bought under cops investigation. A citation will be issued for violating the act.
This justifies that the installation of car window tint has a lot of benefits, but if you fail to meet the standards of law, you will get into trouble.