While you all must know that boating is as adventurous as it is risky, boat accidents are bound to happen. Different countries have maritime laws that have their regulations for boating accidents. It results in difficulties claiming compensation.
A boat crash lawyer can help you with the settlement process in such situations. They can help in establishing proof and negotiating with the defendant. Further in this article, you will be reading the various aspects of hiring a boat crash lawyer.
Legal Recourse for boat injuries
Most of the boat crashes happen due to the negligence of the operator. Crime charges will be held against the boater if he is caught liable and negligent in performing his conduct. When the case reaches the level of trial, the jury determines if the boater was at fault or not. It is then investigated if the boater performed his duty properly or was negligent with his job. Such situations ask you to establish evidence, such as photographs, eyewitnesses, and medical reports to prove the defendant’s negligence.
You need to prove the defendant’s negligence, the injury caused to you, and that the injury is caused due to the defendant’s negligence. Also, the liability of the accident will vary according to the defendant’s position and the location of the accident because accidents near-shore fall under Florida whereas, accidents far from shore are likely to fall under maritime laws.
Causes of boating accidents
Accidents are bound to happen when there are least expectations. Some common causes of boating accidents are:
- Inattentive- This has been the number one cause of boating accidents. Driving a boat is more difficult than driving a car, and even a little bit of distraction can lead to major accidents. Boaters should avoid using phones, eating, or doing anything that might lead to a crash.
- Drinking- Boating when drunk is a bad idea. Around 113 cases were reported in 2019 due to driving under the influence of alcohol. The boater should never drive when under the influence of drugs or alcohol, as even a drink can cause big trouble.
- Not monitoring properly- Looking out for the changes in the surroundings and observing the chances of any accidents play a crucial role. If not looked out properly, there is a high chance of getting in trouble. So, ignorant nature will not work here.
- Inexperience- Now, this plays a key role in many cases. Lack of experience can lead to accidents as more experienced operators know which way to go and how to handle certain situations.
- Over speeding- Excessive speed can result in hazards. There are many consequences that the boater might have to face, such as less time to control the boat, unclear vision, and Difficulty in looking for dangers.
- Faulty machinery- The boater must look for any defects in the machinery before leaving the shore. One must inspect the boat and rectify the failed parts, if any.
What can you do when you meet with an accident?
In such situations, you must do the following:
- Emergency service- Foremost thing to do is contact emergency services. Look if the injury is severe or minor.
- Gather evidence- While you are in trouble, do not forget to record the information about the accident. As discussed above, you will need the evidence to prove negligence and injury.
- Póngase en contacto con un abogado de accidente de barco– Now comes the part of the lawyer. It would be best to look for an experienced lawyer who could look at your case with expertise. As a lot goes on in the settlements process, a lawyer makes it easier for you. The lawyer will gather the evidence for you and strategize your entire case.
Therefore, look for an appropriate lawyer for yourself who could deal with your case without making it messier and bring you any more trouble.