A car accident is a harrowing experience that no one would ever willingly choose to undergo. The screech of metal, the loss of control, and the injuries often associated with car accidents can affect victims for the rest of their lives.
But even though car accidents are undoubtedly traumatic, having a lawyer on your side throughout the process can make everything much easier. A good car accident lawyer will help you every step of the way and will ensure that you are fairly compensated for all of your medical bills, lost wages, and anything else that was lost as a result of your accident.
What Types of Car Accidents Do Lawyers Help With?
In short: a lawyer can help with any type of car accident. With so many cars on the road today, car accidents are becoming more and more common. They can occur due to many different causes including:
- Distracted Driving Accidents. Texting, changing the radio station, or even just “zoning out” while driving can cause a significant distraction which often results in an accident. For example: if we assume that a text message takes roughly 5 seconds to read, and a driver is travelling at 60 MPH, they will have gone over 400 feet in the time it took to read the text. That’s 400 feet in which they could have hit a pedestrian, another car, or a stationary object. Distracted driving is a huge problem on the road today and leads to many car accidents.
- Impaired Driving Accidents. Driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol is never a good decision for many reasons. First off, it’s illegal. Secondly, alcohol and drugs decrease reaction time. Both of these facts can lead to obvious consequences and many impaired driving accidents result in death and serious injury.
- Dangerous Driving Accidents. Speeding, changing lanes inappropriately, and other risky driving practices all may lead to a car accident. There are speed limits and driving rules in place for a reason: to limit the number of car accidents. Those who choose to ignore these rules put other drivers and themselves at risk for injury or even death.
While there are many other types of car accidents, the three listed above are a sampling of the main ones seen on the road today.
What Should I Do If I’ve Been in a Car Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you should follow the process below:
- Call for Medical Services. Regardless of the extent of the injury, you’ll want to ensure that you are evaluated by a trained physician. Not only will this ensure that your medical needs are addressed, you will also have valuable proof of your injuries, should your case need to go to court later on.
- Gather Evidence of the Scene. If you are able to, snap some pictures of the scene of the accident, obtain the contact information of any witnesses, and gather any other evidence you can.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer. Getting in touch with a car accident lawyer will make the process of navigating legal matters very straightforward. These professionals will help you no matter how much or how little your case is worth.